Wednesday, May 27, 2009

20 Lessons Collected And Reflected, From My First Year Homeschooling

Yes, I have survived second grade again and have attained much more this time around. These lessons are based solely on my own experiences, as homeschooling vastly differs from family to family. I do not claim to have all the answers, just a willing spirit and hope for the ones that God has entrusted to me. Trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord and doing my best to pass it on. Maybe I just stated my number one lesson.
1. Do not compare yourself or your children to others, God created each of us in a wonderful and unique way.
2. Trust that you will make mistakes and your kids will still love you.
3. Be who you are and embrace the freedom that comes from unconventionalism and not pleasing anyone but God. (and it is freeing.)
4. See your kids as God made them, understanding that, will help them discover His will for their lives.
5. There are so many resources for a homeschooling family, reach out and be resourceful.
6. Every moment is part of an education.
7. My children are naturally curious and excited to learn, this ignites my passion for homeschooling.
8. Keep lessons short, recognize "glaze over".
9. Everything is a science project.
10. Encouragement goes a long way.
11. Sometimes they need to just be left alone with a project and they will get it.(i.e. Elijah using scissors)
12. Manners, behaviors, beliefs and actions are a VERY important part of homeschooling and should be incorporated 24/7.
13. Adjust accordingly, it's okay to let something go that isn't working out, let God direct.
14. Jumping on a trampoline counts as gym. (Thanks Kelly.)
15. Animals are wonderful teachers for empathy, compassion and responsibility.
16. I have more support than I thought I would.
17.Alot of Cafe Malta and alot of prayer can get you through January, February and March.
18. That it is okay when people doubt my sanity and even more okay when they elevate me to sainthood.
19. Faculty meetings can be fun when your crazy for the principal.
20. That ALL my trust is in God, and He who began this good work in our family will faithfully complete it.
As we wrap up the official "homeschool year", I consider my time spent with the boys teaching them academic lessons and life principles, as well as the study of Moses, and how to make scrambled eggs. As I do, more and more that I have learned comes to my heart and mind, but I will end with this as I have learned how to "recognize glaze over."(see #8) So while we may put away our grammar books for the few short weeks that we call summer, our journey continues, our learning never ends, our enlightenment pursues and we await lots and lots of freeze pops.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Although I did not "homeschool" per say, I believe all mother's homeschool. (and fathers too). But to dedicate your days to educating the young minds entrusted to you by God truly is a "saint-like" undertaking. So count me in that group. Of course, I already think you are special, but in so many ways you amaze me anew. And I am so proud of you and what you are doing with your already "advanced" children.

I would like to claim #2 my #1!
Keep up the good, no, great work Shannon!

budmom said...

Love this! I found you :-) I hope you had a fun weekend. Hugs, Mary